EXTREME PROFITS AND EXTREME POVERTY : Strange stories of Nigerian economic performance
My mind is at it again! Just wondering about the number of poor people springing up everywhere. I saw three people today who were asking me to help them with alms.I do give alms most of the times but I don't think this will help them.There are many you will see again another day asking for the same thing. Some are able-bodied while some are not.Those who are able will give you different reasons why you should help them.Most times it will be about being stranded at the bus stop and the place he was going was very far.You will be moved and will part ways with your hard earned money.I met one many years ago who gave me stories about coming to Apapa and getting stranded due to lack of transport money. When I saw this same man at another bus stop and began his stories,I allowed him to finished his pitiable stories and I told him that I gave him some money at the other bus stop just yesterday! I asked why are he was always stranded in this same part of Lagos.? He became ashamed and apologized profusely as he disappeared immediately among the crowd at the bus stop.And to think I gave him a handsome amount,I felt used.
Joblessness is the younger brother of poverty.This is sad tales of majority of Nigerian population.Even world bank confirmed that we are on of the countries with extreme poverty.Despite this however,I kept reading stories of many quoted companies in Nigeria declaring billions of Naira as profit.Companies are cutting labour costs by reducing staff strength or by engaging casual workers.There are many employees who have been casual or temporary staff for many years.Unfortunately I saw many of these companies releasing wonderful profits.Nigerian banks employ more casual workers than any sector.
I will still talk about these super profits soon.Please watch out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home